by Harry Hart
At this point it is very difficult to disentangle Mandalay’s financial incentives from government incentives in what is being disseminated to the public regarding the Vegas shooting. In a great piece of reporting, the Daily Mail, sheds some light on something we were all thinking; why did Jesus Campos appear on Ellen and disappear ahead of his other interviews? The answer as indicated by the Daily Mail seems to be that the potential for lawsuits drove the decision for Campos to avoid hard hitting questions with multiple reporters that might have led to further doubt about the official story and timeline. In this case our guess is both Mandalay and the government’s goals are aligned. Less information for the public is more control of lawsuits and more control of the public discussion surrounding the shooting.
As the Daily Mail reports:
- Jesus Campos, the Mandalay Bay hotel security guard who first alerted police to the Vegas gunman, appeared on Ellen for his first and only interview Wednesday
- MGM, which owns Mandalay Bay, thought Campos might not keep his story straight under the pressure of the TV lights and hard questioning
- Campos booked interviews with all the major networks last week before cancelling at the last minute and disappearing
- Union boss David Hickey who was helping set up the deal, told DailyMail.com ‘It certainly wasn’t my choice that he should appear on that circus’
- Ellen did not press him on the official timeline of the shooting, which has changed three times since the massacre
- MGM has disputed the official timeline, which insinuated they may have waited six minutes to call cops
- Police later changed the timeline again, saying that Campos immediately called in the shooting as soon as he was injured
We can’t help but wonder when this all unravels. People aren’t letting this go. The internet has a long memory and Weinstein, the NFL, Goldstar-Gate, and anything else we’ve been hit with in a very frenetic few weeks of news hasn’t been able to drown out those questioning everything about this shooting. While we have no publicly stated motives for Paddock, Mandalay Bay, the Vegas PD, and our government have strong motivations from admitting guilt in any way shape or form surrounding this shooting. Again it’s all about motive. Paddock had one. Whether we are told it or not depends more on what the government wants you to know about this. Was Paddock an ISIS convert? Why on earth would our government want to tell us that? That would do two things:
1.) Give ISIS credit for the attack – further emboldening them to do more attacks and to rally more people to their ranks
2.) Tipping their hand would also alert those that may have helped Paddock prepare for this attack if he in fact had help – it still seems unlikely he didn’t
At least for now, incentives remain high from both a money and tactical perspective to not allow the public to know too much about this shooting. Mandalay Bay and the US government will work together to make sure we know as little as possible. Since they are the ones with all the info, don’t expect any confirmation of any of our suspicions until this attack has been well since replaced by more Weinsteins, more NFL, and … SQUIRREL!